Headway Arts, incorporated in 1995 as Headstrong Productions, is an independent arts organisation and registered charity based in Blyth, Northumberland.
It focuses on participatory arts, providing opportunities for people to gain access to the arts. It aims to engage people who are socially excluded, with a focus on working with young people and adults with learning disability.
Its programmes include:
- Come on Down - an annual festival to celebrate work created by learning-disabled people
- Random - an ongoing youth theatre funded by BBC Children in Need
- Seven Stars - Northumberland's learning disabled theatre company supported by the Northern Rock Foundation
Headway Arts is also engaged in international collaborative work with support from the European Union, and since 2009 has attracted Grundtvig funding for partnership work linking with community and arts initiatives in Belgium, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
Headway Arts have won a number of Awards. These include:
- Most Exciting Project at North East VCS Awards 2009
- Leading Visionary of the Future in Europe in European Year of Creativity & Innovation 2009
- NIACE Outstanding Achievement Award 2010
- Best Animated Film (Rosemary's Birthday) and Best Fantasy Film (Robots in Space) at 2010 D'Oscar Awards
The Old Church
Telephone: 01670 351962